Consider also the blend of fabrics of a coat if warmth is a major factor. Wool blends are the best – more wool usually means a warmer coat, whilst polyester provides durability. But if you are in the market for something a little more edgy, look out for this season’s hot ticket item, faux fur!
Seen in both short and cropped styles look out for animal prints in particular. Androgynous shapes are also popular, and will give you a little added room to layer woollen jumpers underneath for extra warmth in the coldest months.
Think about the fastening of your winter coat. Currently double breasted coats are doing the rounds, with new references to classic military styles. Another popular choice is the robe coat that morphs the traditional bathrobe with more conservative top coat silhouettes.
Best Winter Coats: Longline Faux Wool Duster Coat Nude From Missguided: 108 USD
- A good priced winter coat that is well cut
- A classic style that will last past the season
- A great alternative to navy, bland and grey
- The coat is only dry cleanable
- The light colour may not be the be best serviceable colour if this is your first purchase
Best Winter Coats: ASOS Boyfriend Coat In Check Print: 151 USD
- A coat that is longer in length that great for extra warmth or for the longer leg
- Double-breasted front is a great and on trend, plus keeps out the chills
- We like the fantastic design proportions of the wider lapel
- Wool for warmth and polyester for durability
- This is a versatile coat so pair it well with black skinnies or high-waisted denim. Add a maxi skirt, or woolen dress, with a great pair of boots for a more tailored look.
- There are other coats that are cheaper with more wool content for extra warmth
- This coat is dry clean only
- Drop shoulders can have a sloppy look so take care with the items you pair with this coat for more formal occasions
Best Winter Coats: Oversized Coat In Textured Fabric From ASOS: 136 USD
- Fully lined
- Oversized fit allows you to layer for extra warmth
- Sophisticated look minus the traditional collar
- Good mid-calf length that goes well with jeans/trousers and your best dresses/skirts
- Very versatile winter style that is both causal cool and chic
- Functional side pockets
- Fully lined
- Added texture
- More expensive than some of the other of our best winter coats offerings
- Less wool content which may affect the warmth of the coat
- Dry-clean only